Situated in 11KM on the West of Paris, the municipality of Croissy is in a meander of the Seine, on the right bank of the river. The site would have been occupied from the Neolithic, with a CROCUS which would have given its name to the village which developed gradually along the Grande Rue. Ancient truck-farming village, Croissy preserved its rustic charm. The history of this city is also enamelled by illustrious characters come rest away from the life in Paris. The municipality knew how to preserve several testimonies of its past, that we can discover by walking in the old Croissy, and by visiting the pavillion of Local History.
Built between 1750 and 1770, the Castle Chanorier is the ancient residence of the Lords of Croissy. Acquired in 1937 by the municipality it becomes then a primary school. Today, it shelters the municipal library and welcomes exhibitions.
In the center, we notice the balcony and its guards iron body forged of the XVIIIth century as well as its consoles in the shape of sculptured heads representative Hercule.
Behind the castle extended a big park transformed into big pleasure garden.
The ancient parochial church of Croissy, today known under the name of chapel St Léonard, with his strengthened turret, was built in the XIIth century on the place of the massacre of inhabitants of the village by the Normans in 846.
St Léonard's relics were the object of important pilgrimages in the Middle Ages.
It was restored in the XVIIIth century thanks to the generosity of the Lord of Croissy and queen Anne d'Autriche grateful because she would have come collect herself so that comes into the world the Dauphin whom she wished to give in France (Louis XIV was born to St Germain-en-Laye in 1638).
Abandoned in 1793, it was closed down in 1881 further to the construction of a new church (Saint Léonard)
Bought in 1896 by the painter Théophile Poilpot it becomes again in 1976 property of the municipality and is an exhibition center today.
Inside, a series of fourteen panels of painted wood dating the XVth century and installed in the end of XIXth century decorates the entrance.
LA MAISON JOSEPHINE
The Josephine's House, building dating the XVIIIth century. Under the terror, Joséphine de Beauharnais left Paris with his two children, Eugène and Hortense to take refuge with the first floor of this house, from 1792 till 1794, accommodated by Mrs Campan, educator of the children of Louis XV and first chambermaid of Marie-Antoinette. It is occupied by private individuals today and shelters the Museum of the Sleepsuit at the ground floor.
LE PAVILLON HENRI IV
The Pavillon Henri IV also said about "Gabrielle" was built in 1830 for the marquis d'Aligre , he was in the head of an immense fortune and arranged vast properties to Croissy, to Chatou and to Pecq. The building calling back the relays of hunting which Henri IV made build in forest of Vésinet.
It is occupied by private individuals today. One of the most premature neogothic buildings of Ile-de-France. On the facade, we can see the bust of king Henri IV and weapons of the marquess of Aligre above da the door.
THE RIVERBANKS OF THE SEINE
Going along the Seine, one can view numerous mansions built at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century (la belle époque). The inhabitants of Croissy as well as the Parisians were seeking a place to rest near to the Capitalideal setting which provided peace and relaxation but in an .
Just along the road from the museum is the Château Chanorier, a 18th century residence of the Lord of the Manor, and a 12th century parish church of St. Léonard. Nearby with views over the Seine is the Avenue des Tilleuls (Lime Tree Avenue) where there is the Hunting Lodge of Henri IV, the old gallows, and many splendid villas overlooking the river.